Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Rom 12:9-21)
Much like darkness is overcome by the presence of light; evil can be overcome with good. That’s a challenging thought. There is so much evil I can’t even begin to sort it out. From ISIS to body parts, through the miracle of technology I can instantly know everything that is bad in the entire world. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed and helpless.
However, helpless is not our true position. I have been issued a secret weapon – it’s called “GOOD”.
The problem is I don’t think I have very sound view as to what “Good” is.
To me it’s just a squirt gun. It might wash one dirty face but 5 more will show up before I can run to the backyard faucet and reload. It helps but in small doses and evil seems to have bigger guns and a better bankroll. (Maybe that’s why it doesn’t work that well for me…I think it’s about a bankroll instead of the Spirit?)
So back to the top at v 9 and let’s read down again. Here’s how to deploy “Good”:
- Love truly
- Hate evil
- Don’t forsake anything good
- Be the best at showing honor
- Be zealous in serving the Lord
- Celebrate hope
- Be patient under fire
- Pray all the time
- Give to needs of the saints and show hospitality
- Bless your persecutors;
- Rejoice with the joyful and mourn with the grieving
- Live at peace with each other
- Don’t be puffed up
- Hangout with the lowly
- Don’t trust your own wisdom
- Never return evil for evil but think of something honorable to do
- Live peaceably with all
- Never try to avenge yourself
- Instead of vengeance meet your enemies’ needs
Well, it seems “Good” might require a rocket launcher instead of a squirt gun.
Lord, by Your Spirit, help me to load up today and extinguish me some evil. Amen.